Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A new beginning.

Through out the past year I have gained and lost a lot. The strange thing though, is that the losses add a heavy weight and the gains help remove it. It is the loss of friends, though, that ultimately weigh the most. The wondering of what went wrong and if it could be fixed. I have spent many nights awake, angry at myself for things that I can and can't control. It is only after confirmations of what might have been true, that I allow myself to let go.

From an early age I was taught to assume the best in a person. It is a fairly large part of the Jewish code and guides a lot of actions. While justice is also a major point, more emphasis is put on not making ill assumptions. Not wrong assumptions, just ill ones. I should assume that a person is not trying to purposefully harm me. I should assume that it is by accident or unintended. For thinking the opposite, that a true accident is done in spite and anger, is a worse and more dangerous assumption, both to me and to the other.

This is not to say though that actions are to be forgotten. A set of actions will ultimately show a pattern, both for good or bad. It is then that judgments should be made.

No comments: